The ridiculously high temps in the 80's have passed and we have great sugaring weather again on the horizon. Problem is, last weeks prolonged warm up shut us and nearly every other sugarmaker down last week. The temps were just too high for too long a period of time and the trees began making leaves. On top of that, the sap we did get was spoiling before we could boil it. We actually had to dump a ton of sap that we just could not process, which hurts since we are only a bit over half a crop. Will this coming week be just be a cruel reminder of what the season could have been?
The million $$ question is: will the sap run again tomorrow? Conventional wisdom says no, and if it were not April, then it would have been a no brainer to shut our pumps off. But this is not normal, temperatures broke records by huge margins day after day after day, and now we have frigid temps freezing the buds on the trees. Will the sap run again with the good sugaring weather? I am banking/ hoping on a yes. I have left 1 pump on the trees keeping some vacuum on them, and will turn on 2 more once we get above freezing tomorrow. I will be one happy sugarmaker if sap runs in to my sugarhouse tomorrow. I can barely wait for it to warm up again. I really hope I am not dissapointed. Any bit of extra syrup would be huge!!!!
I will keep you updated throughout the week