We had been busting our asses to finish installing new drop lines on a 5000 tap section of woods that had 5 yr old stubby spouts. We finished on Saturday morning and began tapping. Starting with an area of 2200 new taps we were able to get 1800 done in 2/3 of a day with 4 guys. Pretty good day. Today we were able to up the number to 3000 taps in total. It is always slower when tapping trees that have tap holes already in them . We definitely take the time to locate old tap holes and find good wood.
We are hoping that tomorrow is warm enough to tap, then it looks like we won't be in the woods much next week as we have quite a cold snap coming until next weekend.
A Word On Spouts- We have used 5 or 6 different spouts over the past few years, and had struggled to find one we really liked. We are excited this season as we feel we finally found a spout that is worth using. We tested a bunch last year and are using them exclusively this season. It is a clear poly carbonate with real barbs so it won't come off the tubing, has a good taper that seats well in the tree all season, can be reseated if needed, doesn't break, or have pin holes (I cant believe that I even had to mention that however there have been a lot over the past few years that have had them). My advice is to find a spout that works and stick with it. If a new one comes out you would like to try, buy a few hundred or a thousand, do not switch your whole woods!!!!!!!! Let others be the guinea pig. This should really go for everything in sugaring, trust me. If you want to know what spout I am talking about send me a message.
So it looks like next time it warms up we will probably boil. We have a bunch of small projects but nothing huge. We did get our 8 new E8 membranes installed in our r/o and got the machine fired up to make sure all is OK. One leaking fitting to replace and she is ready for action. We will see what surprises we have once the sap hits the sugarhouse!!!