For me it was very disappointing as the sap continued to run and we ended up getting some great sugaring weather. I even tried to give it another go about a week after we finished. The sap began running like crazy on gravity alone. I turned on my pumps and collected 12,500 gallons off of 17,000 taps in about 5 hours. So much the idea of tap hole drying. For the record we do not use check valve spouts. Since everything was cleaned up I was reluctant to just try boiling so we boiled down some at home and it was ropey, and absolutely awful tasting. I know some other sugar makers were boiling that crap, but I don't think they will get paid very much for it.
As for our production, we had a below average season, making just under .4 gallons gallons of syrup per tap. The good news is that since we added over 5000 taps, we made more syrup than we have ever made. We are a cool west and north sloping sugar woods and we did not get much sap until after Easter. The season really was around 8 days, where we had record breaking runs and boils right up to the last day. If only we could have gotten 3 or 4 more days we would have done pretty well. One bright spot was our new installation on 3/16 tubing which is slightly warmer and slopes west and south. The woods made .6 gallons per tap!!!
Syrup quality this year was very good, though we did not make as light of fancy as we typically do.
We have a laundry list of ideas and projects to work on for the 2016 season, but first we have around a week and a half of untapping, followed by a few weeks of firewood.
Huge thanks to everyone who helped us out this year especially Marie-Michele, Mom, Derek, Eric, and Grandpa.